Hoover Memorial Trees
The Hoover Memorial Trees Program was established in 1999 for local residents, businesses and organizations interested in planting trees as living memorials or honorariums. The program has been deeply meaningful to the families, groups and individuals who have participated. Hoover Memorial Trees is designed to aid in preserving fond memories of past family and friends, honor special individuals or groups, and enhance Hoover's public green space.
Horticulture & Urban Forestry (HUF) Division personnel will select, plant and individually maintain trees at designated city parks and select public facilities. Requests for particular tree species and planting locations will be accommodated when possible but tree selection will be centered around the basic, arboricultural principal of planting the right tree in the right location.
Hoover Memorial Trees can often be identified by a small, yellow, plastic tag hanging on a lower branch. These tags display information about the tree itself and the individual or group for whom the tree is planted. Some trees have been marked with metal tags or in-ground stones. In-ground markers are permissible in select locations but must receive city approval prior to installation. Selection, installation and maintenance of markers other than standard, plastic tags are the responsibility of program participants.
To aid in tree-establishment, Hoover Memorial Trees are planted during optimal planting weather which typically ranges from October through February in central AL. Requests received outside this planting window will be delayed until the following planting season. For individuals or groups interested in assisting with the actual planting of a tree, your participation is welcomed provided schedules can be coordinated. Scheduling details can be talked thru via phone and/or outlined on your Tree Planting Request form.
While it is uncommon for Hoover Memorial Trees planting requests to originate from outside the city limits of Hoover, we have been honored to receive and fulfill requests from as far away as London, England! If you have connections to Hoover and/or are interested in participating in this program, please know it would be our honor to work with you.
The following administrative guidelines have been established to assist any individuals or groups interested in participating in the Hoover Memorial Trees program:
- A one-time, tax-deductible contribution of $150.00 is required to purchase and plant one, (+/- 6)' tall tree and when necessary, one replacement tree of equal size. This cost also covers identification tags and all required maintenance. Lesser donations are accepted and can be used to supplement various tree plantings and program needs.
- Upon receiving a completed request form and contribution, HUF personnel will select, purchase and plant the tree. Pending weather and scheduling, trees are generally planted during the fall/winter months of approximately October through February.
- An acknowledgment of the planting will be mailed to the family of the deceased or to the individual being honored.
- A Hoover Memorial Trees Register will be compiled as trees are planted. The Register will list the names of individuals for which trees have been planted, tree locations, tree species, dates of plantings, and the names of the individuals or groups responsible for program contributions.
- All trees will be maintained by City of Hoover personnel.
Hoover Memorial Trees
Attention: Colin Conner
Hoover Met Stadium
5500 Stadium Trace Pkwy
Hoover, AL 35244
For more information about Hoover Memorial Trees, please call (205) 739-7141, (205) 288-6068 or email email@example.com.